Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Waiting on Wednesday: Waiting on My Kind Side

It is Wednesday and that means that I am linking up with  Holly for Waiting on Wednesday.



It is basketball season around here which means I see my husband less than normal. 

5 games a week, early morning practice, and late nights watching film and getting ready for the next game. 

I love basketball season but for some reason this is truly the most stressful sport for me as his wife. 

It may have something to do with my competitive side or something to do with the fact that I do the books for the games and often find myself completely in grossed in the game. 

We are only two games in and I already have found myself in situations where I do not need to be. 

For example, on Monday night, I had a parent tell me that "I am glad I am not the coaches wife", in a not so nice context. 

I am not going to lie, I wanted to hop on this blog Monday night and express my anger-filled feelings but knew that I might not reflect the type of character I try to achieve. So Monday night I had a good cry and talked to another coaches wife and felt better. 

Then Tuesday night rolls around and I get to hear another parent bash the coaching. I get it, we are all experts when it comes to sports. I can yell at a kid for not cutting to the basket or not making the right pass, but am I also the one working with them after practice and being a "father figure" to them daily. 
Umm, no I am not. 

I wish people saw that it is more than the score and the type of offense the coach chooses to run. 
It is about people and relationships. 
It is about building up kids and not tearing them down. 

It honestly makes no sense to me. We preach at our kids to be respectful and to be kind to others. 
However, these adults in turn are not respectful or kind to other adults. 

I know I get confused. How must these kids feel?

I try not to complain about this role I have been blessed with but this season might just test every ounce of kindness I have in my body. 

To me, the Good Lord is preparing me for something and I am praying that I am able to make it through without letting my worldly rude self get in the way. 

So why am I sharing this today? 

 I am sharing because I need prayer and accountability. 

My hope is that I am able to blog about how great this season is and I will not hop on and share my raw emotions, when something not so nice is said.

It is such a strange situation. When I worked at CPS I was called every horrible name in the book and it never affected me, but when someone calls out my husband and is hateful, it hurts and I get angry. #ineedtoletitgo 

We have a super young team and I know it is not going to be easy but I am hopeful. 

My hope is that I am able to be the bigger person when an adult is tearing down my husband and the other coach every week. My hope is that I don't become disheartened. My hope is that I do not come to resent this role. 

I honestly do not know why I more fearful of these things this year than the previous two years but I am. 

I try to be real around here and today you are getting the real me. 

As it stands in the first week of basketball we are 1-0 in Jr. High, 1-0 in JV, and 0-1 in Varsity. 

We have a tournament this week so 3 games in 3 days. 

It is going to be a fun but crazy ride this season! 

XOXO ~ JulieAnn 

3 comments:

  1. JulieAnn,

    Take pride in being a coach's wife! Basketball season is a hard time for me as well, but over the years I have taught myself to EMBRACE it.

    Be the light in every situation.

    Good luck and congratulations on a new season <3

    xoxo,
    The Uncommon Wife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JulieAnn,
    This is a great post!! You are such a great coach's wife and such a role model to all these kids!! Please let the negative roll!! Sports are so competitive these days, it's easy to lose sight of the good!! You and your husband ARE THE GOOD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing such an awesome job and so is he - I hate that anyone would say something to tear down people who are working so hard to help their kids!!
    Does basketball season just make everyone extra mouthy? We are in a tournament this weekend, and I keep hearing people from other schools criticize my husband for playing "grown men" who MUST be in their twenties, and talking like they're going to report him. Um, no. These are goofy sixteen year olds, most of them don't even have their drivers licenses. What should they do - try to be shorter? Score less points? Not win?
    They also yelled and threw fits about the officials, the poor lady running the scoreboard, their coach's decisions...everything! That is NO way to approach high school sports, there is just so much wrong with that mentality,
    You are way more classier and self-controlled than I am, btw. We were up against a really big, prestigious school whose fans and players talked MASSIVE amounts of trash before the game about how they were going to just mop the floor with us. I kept quiet until the end of the game, which we won by 30 points (it could have been by double that, but my husband is also classier than I am, and played his bench for all of the second half) and then went up to hug Aaron and say (where everyone could hear me) "That's funny, babe, it didn't LOOK like they mopped the floor with y'all!"
    That makes me kind of a brat, right? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love seeing your comments. I read and respond to each comment. I look forward to hearing from you. :)